Sacrament of Marriage
“But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother [and be joined to his wife], and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate.” – Mark 10:6-9
Choosing to Marry
“The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.” (CCC 1601)
The marriage preparation program at St. Matthew offers couples an opportunity to reflect on and discuss some of the vital aspects of married life. For questions regarding seeking a Declaration of Nullity, please click here.
Please contact a priest at least six months before you wish to marry to begin the process.
Weddings at St. Matthew
St. Matthew Catholic Church welcomes your interest in celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage in our church. Because it is a sacred space, and because marriages celebrated by believers are important rituals not only in the life of a bride and groom, but also for the Church community as a whole, we have organized guidelines to assist you in planning your wedding at St. Matthew Church.
How to Book a Wedding at the Church: If you are interested in celebrating your marriage at St. Matthew Church, please contact Anne Tarwater to determine whether the church is available on your requested date. Weddings ordinarily take place on Saturdays and must begin no later than 2 p.m. and not before 7 p.m. (Please be mindful that due to Saturday evening Mass, the church is not available before 6:30 p.m. for set up.) Weddings are discouraged during the seasons of Advent and Lent, and may not take place on major holidays. Weddings with a priest or deacon outside of St. Matthew must have the pastor's permission. Click here to view a copy of the St. Matthew Wedding Guidelines.
Fees and Other Information:
• Church Usage Fee for Registered Parishioners ($150.00)
• Church Usage Fee for Non-Parishioners ($250.00)
• Damage-Clean up Deposit ($100.00) (Refundable if the church is left clean and in good order.)
• Fee for use of candelabras ($50.00)
• Organist, Vocalist/Other Instrumentalists (arrangements must be made directly with them)
• Offering for Priest/Deacon (the first $25.00 goes to the parish, the minister may retain anything above that)
• A $100 deposit is required to reserve the church. The balance will be due six weeks before the wedding.
• The church seats 500 people; the chapel 90 people. The church aisle is 100 feet long.
• The Bridal/Nursery room is available for the bridal party to prepare for the wedding one and a half hours prior to the celebration. The Upper Room in the Cohan-Hansom Building is also available for use on the day of the wedding.
• Floral arrangements should be constructed before arrival at the church. Artificial flowers and greenery are not permitted. All greenery and floral arrangements must be placed in containers. Pew markers should be fastened so that the wood will not be scratched. The florist must provide any containers and equipment needed with the exception of the two vases that the church provides for the altar flowers. Floral arrangements should not obscure any of the symbols in the church nor impede the necessary movements that occur during the Liturgy. All decorations must be removed within one hour after the ceremony. The church requests that you leave two floral arrangements in the sanctuary for weekend Masses. If using flowers for a wedding in the chapel please plan accordingly as the space is limited. Two arrangements are not required to be left in the chapel.
• Photography: Photography and videotaping must be discreet during the service. The sanctuary area may not be entered after the processional, during the service or before the recessional. Flash equipment may not be used after the start of the ceremony. Following the ceremony, pictures may be taken for 45 minutes. Videotaping must be done from a fixed position. Photographers must remain behind the last pew and come no closer to the altar than the speakers on either side of the church.
• Use of alcohol, including champagne, in the church area is prohibited. No member of the wedding party may be under the influence of alcohol before or during the ceremony. Use of alcohol is permitted at the reception in the Cohan-Hansom building only.
• St. Matthew Church is not responsible for the security of vehicles or personal articles. Please lock cars and do not leave gifts or personal articles unattended. • Members of St. Matthew Wedding Guild will be available to oversee both the rehearsal and wedding and to provide assistance to the couple as well as to ensure that the guidelines are adhered to. They will be available for one and a half hours for rehearsal and up to an hour and a half prior to the celebration of the wedding. • It is the couple's responsibility to see that the church facilities are left clean and in good order immediately following the final photographs.
For more Information: Anne Tarwater, 615-550-5109 email@example.com
Rehearsal Dinners and Receptions at St. Matthew
Cohan-Hansom Rental Fees:
• Rental fee without kitchen use for parishioners is $300.00 and for non-parishioners, $350. An additional refundable security deposit is required: $100.00 for parishioners and $150.00 for non-parishioners.
• Rental fee with kitchen use for parishioners is $375 and for non-parishioners, $400. An additional refundable security deposit is required: $150.00 for parishioners and $250.00 for non-parishioners.
• Parishioners may use the 60" white round tablecloths or the white rectangular tablecloths at a charge of $50 providing there is not a parish function that has already reserved them.
• Non-parishioners may use the linens; however there will be a $10 per cloth usage fee.
• All fees include one cleaning at the end of the event. If however; the room is not left in a satisfactory condition an additional fee will be charged. We reserve the right to withhold the refundable cleaning security deposit if deemed necessary.
• The couple is responsible for leaving the Cohan-Hansom building clean and in good order with any trash taken out to the dumpster located at the back of the parking lot.
For More Information: Darcy Rowe, 615-646-0378 firstname.lastname@example.org