Saint Matthew participates in the Diocesan Athletic League and occasionally registers individual teams for participation in other local leagues based on their skill level. Sports that are not offered by the Diocesan Athletic League are offered by the Nashville Catholic League organization where all students in the Diocese are invited to participate on one or more teams.
Diocesan Athletic League sports offered at St. Matthew are:
- Cross Country in fall for boys and girls in grades K-8
- Football in fall for boys in 4th-8th grades
- Volleyball in fall for girls in 7th and 8th grades
- Basketball in winter for boys and girls in grades 3-8
- Soccer, track, golf in spring for boys and girls in grades 5-8
- Volleyball in spring for girls in 5th and 6th grade
- Cheerleading for girls in 8th grade
- Nashville Catholic offers softball, swimming, wrestling, lacrosse and baseball to 7th and 8th graders.